Service Dog Training

Support Puppies: five Issues to Know Before Getting to be a Support Canine Handler

Choosing to turn into a support dog handler is one particular of the toughest decisions a disabled particular person can make. I have experienced one particular considering the fact that 2014 and would like to share with you some of the points that I would like I experienced regarded ahead of I resolved to get a support dog. The good thing is, I know I built the proper decision…. but it nonetheless would have been awesome to know these points ahead of I went into it!

Facebook:
TWITTER:

Day-to-day Beetle by Kevin MacLeod is licensed below a Artistic Commons Attribution license (
Resource:
Artist:

1. I'm 12 and I've had depression, severe anxiety, many social phobias, panic attacks and feelings of fainting sometimes for about 2-3 years now. I don't know if I need a service dog cause my therapist has not told me before and said that i would probably grow out of it, and it's gotten to the point where i even get panic attacks when im even with my family and I cannot focus on schoolwork without worrying so much. I think i do need a service dog, not because I just want one to show off. I think i need one because I calm down when i talk or see animals. Im afraid that my mom will not be able to afford a service dog and I am afraid to ask my dad if he can look into it because he'll think I am faking it. I'm sorry if i am not making sense, i apologize a lot, I probably seem like i am worrying too much about writing this…well over all I just want any advice from a person who already has a service dog to give advice to me, about if i do need one and like if they are allowed in school because that is the second most place where i usually start panicking and worrying. I would appreciate it if you replied 😊

2. I cannot go to school because of severe panic attacks, would a service dog be suitable for me?? (EDIT: i also have depression and i sometimes cannot get out of bed and have depressive episodes)

3. Can you get a service dog for A.D.D because I'm Bipolar and I have A.D.D….sometimes I'm depressed but not all the time.

4. The ADA does NOT cover "Emotional Support" animals. From the ADA website: https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html Q Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA? A. No. These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person. Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. However, some State or local governments have laws that allow people to take emotional support animals into public places Your Emotional support/Therapy/ Comfort, make you feel better Animal, is NOT a Service animal. The ONLY Service animals, under ADA law, are a dog and miniature horse

5. I have low sugar so yeah but I still don't know if I need on e

6. Ik this video is kind of old but can you get a service dog for bad social anxiety and depression?

7. I have severe anxiety, depression, and agoraphobia and I can barely get out of the house in general. I'm deciding if I should get a service dog or not, although I believe 100% I should. I'm basically crippled most of the time because of it and it's super bad.

8. I am confused how you stipulate that an emotional bond with your dog does not mitigate any disabilities. I am agoraphobic, and I have extreme difficulty leaving my home in order to access the community and do the generally mundane things of daily life that most people take for granted. My dog allows me to do that most often simply by providing me with a focus for being mindful and exercising my grounding tools. I am disabled, and this, alone and besides any very specific tasks he is trained to perform, mitigates my disability. The need by most in the service dog community to be cliquish in this regard is disturbing at best, infuriating at its worst.

9. Is it possible to have a service dog for severe bipolar disorder, panic attacks, and depression causing me to frequently have meltdowns in public + at school? (im 14)

10. I have PTSD and people say my service dog doesn't help me… I get severe panic attacks and will go into flash backs… So my service dog (( and my friends he passed away and I took in his service dog)) will come over to me and the bigger one(( my friends German Shepherd)) will get behind me and hug me… And mine (( the smaller one collie)) will sit on my lap(( we his paws over my lap))

People say I'm faking it… How to I help tell the why I bring both with me??

11. I got a sd. I'm owner training. (I'm probably going to get hate but hear me out) my name is Taylor and I have been living with asthma part of my life. When I say part I mean diagnosed with asthma later than it should have been addressed. This has put me through a lot of sicknesses and I even been tested for a disability with my lungs. Though it said negative, I still get sick. Part of the problem is, with any sickness I have, it goes straight to my lungs. So much that when my lungs start to close up I know how to breathe so I don't feel as horrible. Though this is really bad for me, it's part of the reason why I'm so used to being sick. I hear people telling me that they have horrible asthma but for me sometimes it get so bad, a bike ride in summer (1 miles or so) can cause a asthma attack. Hills are a big challenge. Going outside can sometimes make me loose my breath. Plus people are like "why don't u just carry your inhaler" trust me if I had that option I would. Thing is, I'm 11. I don't have a purse and I have more than one inhaler to calm an asthma attack. I remember I was on my bus and had an asthma attack. I had nothing to help me, which I hope to have help with my service dog. I know people are going to say "how is a dog going to help u with asthma, that almost half the population has".
    -I'm training my dog to alert to an asthma attack
    -(side note, when I'm sick sometimes it's really hard to walk) balance and mobility
    -assistance
    -and a feeling I am safe

If u don't agree with me I have found a video on someone with my same condition https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DNYs-I-czpA

Side note: and I have done research, some cases of asthma can be classified as a disability

12. Thank you so much for answering one more question I am thinking about owner training and I am young and i have bipolar, anxiety, do you think owner training is the best I have wonderful parents and a friend that could help but still do you think owner training is the right thing (btw sorry for asking so many questions)

13. And what are your thoughts on owner training

14. Stopping self harm and alerting to depression and panic attaches is a task right

15. no if you have a promblem like me being raped than that is ptsd and i was the hosbitle for 6 mothes and i have alot of problems so stop i need to have one you dont know nothing i have diabeties so pls

16. I have cerebral palsy do I qualify for a service dog?

17. thank you for touching on the fact that psychiatric service dogs do preform service tasks.. for a minute i got concerned you were including psychiatric service dogs when speaking about emotional support dogs! people should really know the difference!

18. Me: he's a service……Todd: bark barkMe: he's hungry….

19. My therapist said I need a service dog for my depression, anxiety and ptsd. I was extremely frustrated when people kept accusing me of faking it before with my old service dog

20. I am going to a phytriatric appointment on thursday and should bring up the idea of a service dog? I have adhd and possibly bipolar (im going to make my mom get me diagnosed someday) and magor behavior problems and i have felt overwhelmed may times before in public and i have magor stage fright. So im wondering should i bring up the idea of a service dog or not? Anyones opinion will be very nice thank you

21. This vid is old so you might not see it. But anyway. I'm getting a dog and my husband will be helping train him. He used to be a trainer. I have "invisible" issues. I'm 23 and I have Sarcoidosis disease (autoimmune disease), osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia and anemic. My knees give out, I've fallen a few times and had my fair share of concussions. My back hurts constantly and my husband has to support me. He has to help me stand often as well. All this being said my docs want me to start walking BUT that's not an option, at least not alone. (I ALWAYS feel a need to justify why I need a dog so I tend to overshare). My husband works alot and every time I've fallen he wan't there and considered quitting until I recommended the dog. I'm so scared of the "i dont see that anything is wrong so you're faking!" What can I do help avoid that as much as possible?

22. Don't underestimate the 2 years of training. Seriously, my dog is in training to help me when I need to get out of my wheelchair to go to the toilet. I don't need the help yet, but it's nice to know help is there. Trouble is, the training can be a pain in the butt, and all this doing for myself in order to train is painful!

23. Thank you for making this honest video. I really appreciate that. I've run into all of these things. I have a small psychiatric service dog for PTSD, major depression, anxiety, social phobias. I can say it's taken almost two years of training. I didn't start young enough with professional training. It has been awesome to have a smaller animal that I can hold when I want. There's also a huge stigma that smaller dogs can't possibly be service dogs. I'm considering getting a puppy yellow lab and starting professional training right away to have help with mobility issues due to chronic fatigue syndrome, seizures and fibromyalgia and dizzy spells. I will end up retiring smaller dog and just keeping him as an emotional support animal at home. Just something to think about for anyone reading this. You might not need mobility assistance now but five or six years down the road will some of your health problems become worse? I am now 100% disabled according to several of my physicians and not cleared to even look for a job. I live alone and would really benefit from a larger dog. Especially on days when it's hard to walk. Some days I use combination of bar stool and cane to get out of bed. When people see me in public they say you look fine to me.

24. I'll pass along a tip I learned from being (K9) Max's partner. Establish status cue. We had trained Max on a 3 level system, with voice commands to put him on or off a particular level. I did something similar with Jerry; but, with just 2 levels. When I put his vest on him and tell him "working," his whole demeanor changes. When we get home and I take his vest off, I tell him "off duty;" and his demeanor shifts back to "being a dog." He'll still come help me if I need him to; but, he gets to relax, run, play, rid my 7 acres of rodents (pretty well hard-wired into the Akbash part of his DNA), etc. I understand that some types of service dogs have to be on-duty 24/7; but, that system has worked out well for me with both a K9 type working dog; and, so far, with my service dog.

PS: This is a bit out of context; since, I just grabbed a paragraph from a comment I left on a different video earlier this evening. It fits in so well with her 5th point, though; so, I wanted to add it here, as well… 🙂

25. I have bipolar disorder, general anxiety (lots of paranoia and frequent panic attacks), and depression. As of now Kai is an emotional support animal, but I've trained her to respond to 'triggers', alert others when a panic attack gets bad, bring me medicine, and get someone when/if I faint (a result of really bad panic attacks). She also knows to get my medicine. I've brought her into places I'm allowed to, and taught her commands, how to act in public, around other dogs and people, etc. She isn't registered as one, but she could be a psd, right? If I wanted to register her as one?