Service Dog Training

Emotional Support Animals: What Are They & What Sort of Paperwork Do They Need to have?

What is an ESA? What protections do they have in the US? And what form of paperwork do you require in order to journey or are living with a single?

(Be sure to be knowledgeable that this is based on personal knowledge and is not authorized guidance. You must often double examine the necessities and discuss with your mental overall health qualified prior to trying to journey or get housing with your possess ESA.) A lot more (together with Q&A):

Wanting for a lot more data? Pay a visit to www.gigigriffis.com and drop me a line.

1. my apartment complex allows pet but is apparently challenging my doctors letter and continues to mistake him for a service dog, he's met the health requirements and I am ensuring that he behaves well but my apartment complex manager asked me for a second letter stating that he is trained to perform tasks, please help, I can't lose my Chuck

2. Thanks for the tips!

3. ESA isn't allowed to go to public areas. they are not a SD. PTSD panic attacks and bi polar disorder. you can have a SD. instead of an ESA.

4. i have depression but its not that bad i think.

5. I have a question when you get the ESA letter do they get you the dog or do you have to get the dog yourself, also do they pay for all the dog or do you have to?

6. Gigi, thank you so much for this video. It pretty much cleared up a lot of my questions. I thought I needed to register my dog besides having the letter from my psychologist. I can't get over the fact that all the sites are trying to just make money off of a person's disability. But then again, I shouldn't be surprised.

Been trying to do this since summertime and finally, you've given me the answer. Again, thank you so very much for your help. God bless!

7. @aututakikuuipo I am not familiar with condo-tels, but I assume they're bound by the same laws. You can always call and ask to speak to their disability department and ask.

As for Hawaii, taking an ESA is the same as taking a regular animal. You'll need to go through their lengthy paperwork process (takes about 6 months) – you can contact a USDA-certified vet for info on the latest paperwork. As with all other flights, ESAs are allowed to fly to Hawaii in cabin and free of charge. All other requirements still apply.

And yes, Hawaii, as part of the US, has the same ESA laws as far as I know.

As for cruise ships, there are no special allowances as far as I know, but you can always contact individual cruise lines to find out if they make exceptions and talk to your vet about requirements for USDA import/export if you are going to Hawaii or somewhere outside the US.

8. Do you know the rights of an ESA with a "condo-tel"? Can you rent on a lease or buy a condo in one since part of it is a hotel and part is condo housing? Do ESA laws apply in Hawaii? What do you know about travel to and more importantly from Hawaii with your ESA? Cruise ships?

9. do you have a copy of your ESA letter ?

10. Thank you 🙏🐕

11. Can an ESA go into all public places like a service animal would or is this just for travel and housing?

12. This video helped me a lot. Thank you so much

13. What do you do if your esa has to use the bathroom on a plane?

14. You will want to pet my emotional support trouser mouse.

15. hey, my dog is registered as an esa. I was wondering, can you take your esa wherever you go? Most of my anxiety comes from traveling far. So, like trips to the zoo, or other recreational places, would they be allowed?

16. I'm 16 and have sever anxiety diagnosed by proffesionals and I am on antidepressants too, I get anxiety attacks pretty often and I think I may benefit from an esa, do you think I qualify?

17. I am currently looking for an emotional support dog. I plan to not only have her as a companion but i want to train her as a therapy dog and take her to hospitals and elderly homes. Please help me by visiting my gofundme https://www.gofundme.com/moneyforkensie. Just read my story you dont have to donate.

18. Hi I'm in Canada and is thinking of getting an esa, I'm glad to know that small dogs are an option. After getting your letter from your doctor where do you go to get an esa? Does your doctor guide you to where you need to go?

19. It's so weird because i have an ESA & her name is Luna lol

20. How do you obtain an ESA?

21. Why don't they have the same rights? What if you have something like sever social phobia and you really need the support animal when you go almost everywhere and when you don't have the animal it Is very difficult for you to get through you day?

22. if i have my letter from the doctor. where all can i actually take my esa dog too?

23. hi gigi if i have a letter for my esa. can she go with me anywhere i go?

24. Hi Gigi Griffis I recently went to an online website to register my dog as an esa the website states if they need more info then they would send for it. they issued her a registration number with her photo and an id card.  I am a disabled veteran if I didn't get a letter yet but am diagnosed with more than one of the requirements is she still valid since I registered her online.

25. My mom had a stroke 4 yrs ago and we are now moving to FL (flying there). She is somewhat physically handicapped now as well as having emotional bad days. She does not see a mental health dr but does have a physician a DMO not just an MD that sees her on regular basis. If her Dr is willing to write a letter that our dog is an ESA (Which he is for both her and I. We got him after her stroke) will a physicians letter suffice or does it have to be from a psychiatrist?

26. I am a single young woman and I can't sleep at night or be alone in the house due to panic attacks and bipolarity unless my dog is there to keep me calm, divert my attention and guard me… i have debilitating phobias that I couldn't get away from without my dog.  Thank you for this information!